11 Septembre 2014
September 11, 2014
Sep. 11, 2014 - Updated 12:15 UTC+2
Japan's chief cabinet secretary says the government has decided at its discretion to release interviews with the former head of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
Masao Yoshida, who was in charge of the plant at the time of the 2011 nuclear accident, died in July of last year.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said on Thursday that before his death Yoshida submitted a petition requesting that the interviews not be disclosed to a third party.
Yoshida reportedly said he was afraid his testimony could develop a life of its own and people could believe all he said was true.
Suga said the government has started disclosing interviews with other people after obtaining their consent. He also said that some newspapers have published fragments of Yoshida's interviews.
Suga said this kind of situation was what Yoshida was afraid of. He said the government decided on the release of his testimony based on the changing situation and the intention of his petition, after seeking consent from his family.
The spokesperson noted that the government will not release testimony of other interviewees if they object to any disclosure.
He added that the government plans to release other interviews by the end of the year.