1 Mai 2015
April 30, 2015
Apr. 30, 2015 - Updated 22:54 UTC+2
The operator of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant will begin dismantling the cover of the No.1 reactor building, starting from mid-May.
The cover was installed after the 2011 nuclear accident to prevent radioactive dust from dispersing. Its removal is necessary in order to clear away radioactive debris at the building and finally remove spent nuclear fuel still stored inside.
Preparation for dismantling of the cover began in October of last year. Workers sprayed chemicals over the debris at the upper part of the building in a test for whether dust will stop scattering. They confirmed that the chemicals worked well.
Operator Tokyo Electric Power Company decided to launch full-fledged dismantling work from May 15th. It says it will be a step-by-step, year-long task after spraying the chemicals again.
TEPCO says a preliminary study found radioactive dust at the building will not scatter even during wind of an average 90 kilometers an hour. It says a water spray will contain the scattering should dust be blown by wind.
TEPCO initially planned to start dismantling the cover on the No.1 reactor building in July of last year. But the work sparked fear by local residents that it might scatter radioactive dust. In the previous year, the spread of radioactive dust made people worry when TEPCO removed debris from the No.3 reactor.