23 Août 2012
August 23, 2012
A 57-year-old worker died after collapsing at the disaster-crippled Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant on Aug. 22, police have announced.
The incident marks the latest in a series of deaths of workers trying to bring the plant under control following the outbreak of the nuclear disaster in March 2011. Plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) says it is aware of four such workers having died in the past.
According to TEPCO, the man was found collapsed at the plant at around 10:35 a.m. on Aug. 22 and was rushed to a hospital in the Fukushima Prefecture city of Iwaki after suffering cardio-respiratory arrest. The man died that afternoon, Fukushima Prefectural Police said.
"It is not known why he collapsed, but it was not because of the effects of radiation, judging from his exposure dosage," TEPCO said.
The man was engaged in work to build additional storage tanks to hold water contaminated with radiation along with five other workers at the plant from shortly past 9 a.m. on Aug. 22. He was wearing a full-face mask and protective gear, according to TEPCO.
At around 9:50 a.m., he was taking a break in a room as part of measures to prevent heatstroke, but he complained of feeling ill shortly afterwards. At around 10:35 a.m., a fellow worker found him unconscious.
The deceased worker had worked at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant since August last year. He had taken a week-long holiday before returning to work on Aug. 22, the day he collapsed and died. His radiation exposure readings that day were 0.03 millisieverts, while his accumulated exposure dosage was 25.24 millisieverts.