17 Mai 2012
May 17, 2012
FUKUOKA (Kyodo) -- Kyushu Electric Power Co. plans to ask customers to limit the use of electricity between July 2 and Sept. 7 while compiling details about possible rolling blackouts in its service area, company officials said Thursday.
Kyushu Electric, which suspended all its nuclear power stations in the wake of the crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi plant triggered by the March 2011 quake-tsunami disaster, plans to ask customers to save power from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. on weekdays during the three-month period, they said.
The utility covering the southwestern region of Kyushu has come up with the plan as the government is considering seeking a cut in power consumption of 12 percent from 2010 levels, which is sharper than the 7 percent cut achieved last year, in its service area.
Earlier this week, the government said it could request electricity users in areas covered by up to seven of Japan's 10 utilities, including Kyushu Electric, to reduce power consumption this summer to cope with tight supply conditions given all 50 commercial atomic power plants have been suspended nationwide.
The officials also said Kyushu Electric is considering dividing its service area into two groups and having them take turns picking zones in the event of possible rolling blackouts.
But it could exclude locations such as hospitals and railway facilities from such power outage plans, they added.