2 Mai 2012
KYOTO — The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry sought support Tuesday from the Kyoto Prefectural Government for restarting two idled reactors at the Oi nuclear plant in Fukui Prefecture.
Kyoto Gov. Keiji Yamada demanded the Agency for Natural Resources and Energy and the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency give further explanations about the issue, despite having been briefed by Senior Vice Industry Minister Seishu Makino last month that the two reactors are safe to restart, based on the results of computer-simulated stress tests.
On Tuesday, Kyoto's chief crisis manager, Kiyoshi Yamada, told the officials from the organizations that the prefecture cannot fully accept the state's explanations about the safety of the reactors.
In response, Tetsuya Yamamoto, chief nuclear safety officer at NISA, said the government's safety measures were compiled after learning lessons from the crisis at the Fukushima No. 1 plant.
Yamamoto also said the central government will set up a teleconference system with local governments within a 30-km radius from the Oi complex to share information in the event of a nuclear disaster, and the industry ministry will deploy more antidisaster equipment to the Oi plant.
In a joint statement issued in mid-April, Yamada and Shiga Gov. Yukiko Kada called on the central government to work out a road map to build up a society free of nuclear power.