16 Juin 2012
Radiation survey halted at request of Fukushima gov't: researchers
AOMORI, Japan, June 14, Kyodo
A survey on local residents' exposure to radioactive iodine was abruptly halted at the request of the Fukushima prefectural government just weeks after the nuclear crisis was triggered by the March 2011 earthquake-tsunami disaster, a team of researchers said Thursday.
The team led by Shinji Tokonami, a professor at Hirosaki University's Institute of Radiation Emergency Medicine, began the survey in April last year but ended it after the prefectural government told the researchers that such studies might fuel concern among residents.
Tokonami said the request came after his team surveyed 62 people instead of its initial plan to conduct checks on more than 100.